For 2018, the Assisted Living Certified Caregiver Program, as approved by the Arizona Board for Nursing Care Institution Administrators and Assisted Living Facility Managers (NCIA Board) is a 104-hour program which includes a respective 78 hours of classroom/skill lab hours, and 26 hours of eLearning through AMTI’s eClassroom. This program will provide students with the theory and skills required by the Arizona Board of Nursing Care Institution Administrators and Assisted Living Facility Managers (NCIA Board) to practice as an Assisted Living Caregiver in the assisted living setting, and in some cases, home health agencies.
NOTE: As of 6/15/2015, Arizona Licensed LPNs, RNs and MDs are not required to take the Caregiver Course. However, they are required to take the Manager’s course if they desire to become an Assisted Living Facility Manager.
For both the Caregiver Student and the CNA Bridge student, the curriculum covers the required critical areas beginning with the Orientation and Overview of Assisted Living, Legal and Ethical Issues, Communication and Interpersonal Skills, Service Plans, Infection Control, Nutrition and Food Preparation, Fire, Safety, and Emergency Procedures, Home Environment and Maintenance, Basic Caregiver Skills, Mental Health and Social Services, Care of the Cognitively Impaired Resident, Skills for Basic Restorative Services, and Medication Management. Key is the practical “hands on” skill development that will occur throughout the course in the AMTI skill labs. Teaching methods encompass a variety of strategies including hands on practice, discussion, videos, as well as computer-aided technology.
All of AMTI’s instructors work in Assisted Living and/or own Assisted Living Homes or Centers in the metro Phoenix area. They all bring unmatched realism into the classroom and a deep understanding of what is required to provide excellence in care. Graduates will receive a Certification of Completion after passing a State Mandated Final Exam. This exam costs $65.00 and students have 2 opportunities to pass it. State code mandates that students repeat the class in its entirety to retake the final exam a 3rd or 4th time.
Classes are scheduled to complement the busy lifestyle needs of the student. For the Caregiver Student, a two week day program (Monday thru Friday from 7:00am to 3:30pm), and a 4 consecutive Saturday and Sunday (7:00am to 5:30pm) weekend program are available for selection. Students taking the CNA Bridge can select from a 2 day (Thursday/Friday) program from 7:00am to 5:30pm or a 1 weekend (Saturday/Sunday) program from 7:00am to 5:30pm.
What are the Caregiver program prerequisites?:
- The student must be 18 Years of Age.
- Current Arizona Licensed CNA if taking the CNA Bridge Program.
- The ability to Read, Write, and Communicate Effectively in English
What are the Caregiver completion requirements?:
- Complete 26 eLearning Hours and 78 classroom hours for a total of 104 hours.
- CNA Bridge students must complete 26 eLearning Hours, 20 Classroom hours, and pass all competency exams.
- Complete Requirements For the Arizona Food Handlers Card.
- Complete and Submit the AZDPS fingerprint card application.
- Pass all competency exams at 80% or higher, and 80% or higher on the course final exam.
- Pass the Arizona State Final Exam through D&S Diversified Technology
How much does Caregiver training cost?:
- Program Cost is $735.00 (includes textbooks, lab materials, and technology fee) payable at registration or Option 2 = $375.00 at registration and the balance of $360.00 due the first week/weekend of class. Option 3 = Mountain America Credit Union Education Loan. If qualified and approved repayment during the course and for 6 months after conclusion is “interest only payments” with principal and interest payments starting thereafter for a period of up to 12 months per $1000 for a maximum of 10 years. Contact Student Services for additional information.
- Course Tuition for the CNA Bridge is $390.00 (includes AMTI manual, technology fee, and lab materials) payable at registration.
- Maricopa County Food Handlers Card – Approximately $14.00 (could vary). This is required to take the Arizona Written Final Exam.
- Arizona State Written Final Exam through D&S Diversified Technology – $65.00
- TB Skin Test = $15.00; Fingerprinting = $5 (Free for AMTI students); DPS Fingerprint Card = $67.00. NOTE: To “work” (not required to take the course) in Assisted Living, employment applicants must have current certification in CPR/FA; have a current Negative TB Test; and, have or in process of receiving a finger print clearance card from DPS.
- CPR & First Aid training is available at Heart Savers (conveniently located immediately next door to the AMTI school).
Where can a Caregiver work after graduation?:
- Vocational opportunities exist to work as an Assisted Living Caregiver in assisted living homes, facilities, and home health care agencies. The candidate must be 18 years old, an Assisted Living Caregiver ( 16 to 17 year olds can work as an Assistant Assisted Living Caregiver), with current certification in CPR and First Aid, Department of Public Safety Fingerprint Background check, plus a negative TB test to solicit these opportunities.