NOTICE FOR 2013: There is still time left this year to achieve becoming an Assisted Living Caregiver if you are a CNA. Arizona licensed Certified Nursing Assistants have 2 options - Daytime on December 5th & 6th; or, Weekend on December 7th & 8th. Begin your New Years Resolution Now!
The Assisted Living Certified Caregiver Program, as approved by the Arizona Board for Nursing Care Institution Administrators and Assisted Living Facility Managers (NCIA Board) is a 104-hour program which includes a respective 78 hours of classroom/skill lab hours, and 26 hours of eLearning through AMTI’s web portal. This program will provide students with the theory and skills required by the Arizona Board of Nursing Care Institution Administrators and Assisted Living Facility Managers (NCIA Board) to practice as an Assisted Living Caregiver in the assisted living setting, and in some cases, home health agencies.
For the currently licensed Arizona CNAStudent, the NCIA Board allows for a waiver of classroom hours. Since the CNA student must take and pass the Arizona State Written Exam to become an Assisted Living Caregiver, your classroom experience is shortened but you will still cover all the curriculum through eLearning, competency exams, and only 20 hours of class. This approach is called the CNA Bridge. Students will begin the course with 26 hours of eLearning, and then proceed to 20 hours of class on 1 weekend or 2 weekdays.
For both the Caregiver Student and the CNA Bridge student, the curriculum covers the required critical areas beginning with the Orientation and Overview of Assisted Living, Legal and Ethical Issues, Communication and Interpersonal Skills, Service Plans, Infection Control, Nutrition and Food Preparation, Fire, Safety, and Emergency Procedures, Home Environment and Maintenance, Basic Caregiver Skills, Mental Health and Social Services, Care of the Cognitively Impaired Resident, Skills for Basic Restorative Services, and Medication Management. Key is the practical “hands on” skill development that will occur throughout the course in the AMTI skill labs. Teaching methods encompass a variety of strategies including hands on practice, discussion, videos, as well as computer-aided technology. All of AMTI’s instructors work in Assisted Living and/or own Assisted Living Homes or Centers in the metro Phoenix area. They all bring unmatched realism into the classroom and a deep understanding of what is required to provide excellence in care. Graduates will receive a Certification of Completion after passing a State Mandated Final Exam. This exam costs $65.00 and students have 2 opportunities to pass it. State code mandates that students repeat the class in its entirety to retake the final exam a 3rd or 4th time.
Classes are scheduled to complement the busy lifestyle needs of the student. For the Caregiver Student, a two week Day Program (Monday thru Friday from 7:00am to 3:30pm), and a 4 consecutive Saturday and Sunday (7:00am to 5:30pm) Weekend Program are available for selection. Students taking the CNA Bridge can select from a 2 day (Thursday/Friday) program from 7:00am to 5:30pm or a 1 weekend (Saturday/Sunday) program from 7:00am to 5:30pm.
- View Schedule of Classes
- Register For Classes
- View/Print “2013 Assisted Living Information” (PDF format)
- View/Print “2014 Assisted Living Program Information”(PDF format)
- View/Print Assisted Living Caregiver Brochure (PDF format)
- The student must be 16 Years of Age. (Students who are 16 or 17 years old can become an Assistant Caregiver by taking the same course.)
- Current Arizona Licensed CNA if taking the CNA Bridge Program.
- The ability to Read, Write, and Communicate Effectively in English (effective 10/1/13)
- Copy of High School Diploma, G.E.D., College Diploma/Transcript, or AMTI Test is required.
- Complete 26 eLearning Hours and 78 classroom hours for a total of 104 hours.
- CNA Bridge students must complete 26 eLearning Hours, 20 Classroom hours, and pass all competency exams.
- Complete Requirements For the Arizona Food Handlers Card. (effective 10/1/13)
- Complete and Submit the AZDPS fingerprint card application. (effective 10/1/13)
- Pass all competency exams at 80% or higher, and 80% or higher on the course final exam.
- Pass the Arizona State Final Exam through D&S Diversified Technology
TUITION, COST AND FEES:
- Course Tuition is $700.00 (includes textbook and lab materials), payable at registration or Option 2 = 1/2 @ Registration ($350.00) and the balance ($350.00) during the first week/weekend of class. Option 3 = $200.00 payable at registration with thye balance of tuition/fees via a Mountain America Credit Union Education Loan. If qualified and approved repayment during the course and for 6 months after conclusion is “interest only payments” with principal and interest payments starting thereafter for a period of up to 12 months per $1000 for a maximum of 10 years. Contact Student Services for additional information.
- Maricopa County Food Handlers Card – Approximately $14.00 (could vary)
- Arizona State Written Final Exam through D&S Diversified Technology – $65.00
- CPR (2 years) = $ 19.00; First Aid (2 years) = $16.00; TB Skin Test = $15.00; Fingerprinting = $ 5.00 (free for AMTI students); DPS Fingerprint Card = $ 67.00
POST GRADUATE OPPORTUNITIES AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Vocational opportunities exist to work as an Assisted Living Caregiver in assisted living homes, facilities, and home health care agencies. The candidate must be 18 years old, an Assisted Living Caregiver ( 16 to 17 year olds can work as an Assistant Assisted Living Caregiver), with current certification in CPR and First Aid, Department of Public Safety Fingerprint Background check, plus a negative TB test to solicit these opportunities.